- First introduced to music by his father, who was a professional mariachi violinist.
- Renowned music career took off after his performance at Woodstock in 1969.
- Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998.
- Established the nonprofit Milagro Foundation in 1998, which supports disadvantaged youth in the areas of arts, education and health.
- Revived his career and swept the 1999 Grammys with his album Supernatural, which featured duets with a number of contemporary artists, including Eric Clapton, Rob Thomas, Lauren Hill, Dave Matthews and Wyclef Jean.
- Launched a women's shoe line, Carlos by Carlos Santana, in 2000.
- Ranked No. 15 on Rolling Stone's list of the 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time in 2003.