- Became interested in acting while in her high school drama club.
- Made her Broadway debut in 1980 in the Tony-nominated play Home.
- In 1988, played Bertha Holly in August Wilson's stage production of Joe Turner's Come and Gone.
- Won a Helen Hayes Award for her performance as Clemma Diggins in Broadhurst Theatre's production of Proposals in 1998.
- Was a company member of the Negro Ensemble Company.
- Won an Obie Award for her performance in Lee Blessing's Going to St. Ives.
- In 2011, was a guest speaker at the Actors' Equity Association's New Member Reception.