- Began songwriting career writing advertisements for brands like Coca-Cola, KFC and Pepsi. He was also behind the "like a good neighbor" State Farm and the "stuck on Band-Aid" jingles.
- First recorded tracks under the name Featherbed in the 1970s.
- Hit "Mandy" was originally called "Brandy" and was changed because a track of the same name was released at the same time.
- Appeared in a 2003 episode of Will and Grace entitled "Fanilow," the name of his fans.
- The 2011 album 15 Minutes was about struggling with fame and inspired by Britney Spears' personal meltdown in 2007.