- Is the granddaughter of Adinath Sen who was one of the wealthiest businessmen of Calcutta.
- Learnt painting in childhood from one of the greatest Indian artists, Jamini Roy.
- Received her masters in Comparative Literature from Jadavpur University in Calcutta.
- Taught at Ballygunge Girls' School for a year, taught graphics at the film techniques school Chitrabani, and taught English at a well known Boys' school in Calcutta.
- Had her first crush on K. K. Mahajan, the renowned Indian cinematographer who was known for his work in Parallel Cinema.
- Married in 1978 to Bharat Dev Varma, who is a descendant of the royal family belonging to the state of Tripura in India.
- Is the daughter-in-law of Ila Devi, the princess of Cooch Behar, whose younger sister Gayatri Devi is the Maharani of Jaipur.
- Was involved in publicised affairs with actor Victor Banerjee in 1988, Bollywood actor Saif Ali Khan in 1990, and Bollywood producer Romu Sippy.
- Entered politics by joining the Trinamool Congress party during 2014 and won Lok Sabha Poll right in her first attempt.Has acted in programmes of over 20 languages.