Born June 24, 1979, comedian and actress Mindy Kaling's portrayal of airhead Kelly Kapoor on the hit series The Office is so good, it's easy to forget that in real life, her considerable brain power has gone into producing and writing the show as well. Kaling graduated from Dartmouth College in 2001, but not before leaving her mark on the school's improv troupe The Dog Day Players, creating a comic strip in the Dartmouth newspaper called Badly Drawn Girl and portraying none other than male actor Ben Affleck in a satirical play that she co-wrote entitled Matt & Ben. The play went on to make Time Magazine's "Top Ten Theatrical Events of the Year" for 2003. Kaling joined the cast and crew of The Office in 2005. She also began appearing in feature films, starting with a cameo in Steve Carell's The 40-Year-Old Virgin and later appearing in Office co-star John Krasinski's romantic comedy License to Wed. Kaling left The Office at the beginning of the show's ninth season to produce and star in her own sitcom, The Mindy Project, on FOX.
Biography by Cammila Collar
- Created, wrote and illustrated the comic strip Badly Drawn Girl for her college newspaper.
- Performed in an improvisational comedy troupe called the Dog Day Players.
- Created, co-wrote and starred in the off-Broadway show Matt & Ben, a satirical take on how Ben Affleck and Matt Damon wrote the Oscar-winning script for Good Will Hunting.
- Wrote scripts for The Office, including the episodes "The Dundies" and "Take Your Daughter to Work Day."
- Wrote her first book, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns), released in 2011.