- Starred in the 1950s series Circus Boy.
- Learned to play the drums after being cast as the Monkees' drummer.
- Played the first synthesizer on a rock recording (the Monkees' "Daily Nightly" from the 1967 album Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd.).
- Cowrote and directed the final episode of The Monkees.
- Voiced various characters on Saturday-morning cartoons during the 1970s, including The Funky Phantom and The Scooby-Doo Show.
- Auditioned for the role of Fonzie on Happy Days.
- Moved to London in 1977 to costar in Harry Nilsson's musical The Point! with fellow Monkee Davy Jones.
- Worked as a director-producer in England during the late 1970s and early '80s. His credits include a stage version of Bugsy Malone that starred a 14-year-old Catherine Zeta-Jones.
- Created-produced the early 1980s British children's show Luna.
- Studied physics during the 1970s and '80s at the Open University, a UK correspondence college.