American fashion designer Michael Kors was known for bringing a casual chic to his sportswear line. Designing since he was 19, he launched his first line at Saks Fifth Avenue in 1981. Since then, he became one of the most loved and respected names in American fashion, so much so that he signed on to be a judge on the popular fashion reality show Project Runway. He appeared in the documentary Bill Cunningham New York.
Biography by Cammila Collar
- Appeared in commercials for Lucky Charms and Charmin as a toddler.
- Changed his name at age 5 (with his newly remarried mother's permission) from Karl Anderson Jr. to Michael David Kors.
- Began designing clothes at 19.
- Designed the dress Michelle Obama wore for her first official portrait as First Lady.
- Received the Cancer Research Institute 2010 Oliver R. Grace Award in recognition of his charitable contributions.