Brentwood, Tennessee's Melinda Doolittle knew from an early age that she wanted to be a singer. After receiving training in college and in private lessons, Doolittle parlayed her talent into a spot among the finalists in the sixth season of the popular television series American Idol.
Biography by Perry Seibert
- Taught gymnastics.
- Was voted Most Talented and Most Spirited at Tulsa's Union High School, where she also served as the school mascot.
- Began singing the summer after the seventh grade and later performed in musical theater.
- Is friends with American Idol Season 5 finalist Mandisa and sang backup for Season 3's George Huff.
- Her extensive background vocal experience includes recordings with CeCe Winans, Aaron Neville and the Anointed.
- A devout Christian, Doolittle is a member of Music for the Soul, a nonprofit organization ministering through music.