Born and raised in Springfield, MA, with three older siblings, actress Maura West studied dramatic arts at Boston University (where she earned her bachelor's), and merely a year after graduation snagged a covetable ongoing role as the conniving Carly Tenney, a gold-digging fashion designer sociopathically envious of her well-to-do-older sister, on the soap As the World Turns. The assignment began in 1995, and -- save a one-year lapse between 1996 and 1997 -- continued unabated for multiple seasons; in no time at all, Carly became a deep-seated and integral part of the series drama. In the part, West netted a 2007 Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress, and also claimed numerous Emmy nominations for supporting and lead acting work.
Biography by Nathan Southern
- Originated the role of Carly Tenney on As The World Turns in 1995.
- Marriage proposal from Scott DeFreitas was shown on the video screen in centerfield at Yankee Stadium.
- Birth of her second child was featured on the Learning Channel's A Baby Story.
- She and her longtime acting partner Michael Park won best acting Daytime Emmys for their roles on As the World Turns in 2010, the year the soap went off the air after more than 53 years.
- She was joined at the ceremony by her sobbing daughter, Katherine, who curtsied along with her mother after West's acceptance speech.
- West bounced back quickly, though, joining the cast of Young and the Restless that same year, taking on the role of Diane Jenkins; the decision was partly spurred by her desire to stay with CBS.