- Family moved frequently during his childhood, living briefly in Hong Kong and Iran.
- Won $15,000 as a contestant on Dick Clark's game show The $100,000 Pyramid during the late 1980s.
- Wrote for The Golden Girls in the 1990s.
- Pays homage to composer Steven Sondheim by using his songs as episode titles for Desperate Housewives.
- Chose the name Wisteria Lane from The Book of Lists because, he told People magazine, "I wanted a beautiful name for the street. Later I found out that the vine crushes everything around it."
- Was named by Time magazine as one of the 100 Most Influential People of 2005.