- Began going by "Maika" in the first grade.
- A trained dancer as a kid, only ventured into acting after a production company contacted her dance school looking for background dancers for the 2006 film Bad Blood.
- Moved to the Dominican Republic at the age of 17 to train professionally as a kite boarder after her acting career stalled.
- In 2013, was ranked as the No. 32 professional freestyle kite boarder in the world.
- An audition tape for the film 2012 film At Any Price reignited her acting career as she was cast as Cadence Farrow
- Created a women's clothing line in 2012 called Airbound Apparel.