Her Dutch ancestry more than evident via her traditional Flemish look, fair-haired Canadian-born actress Laura Vandervoort seemed poised to scale untold heights when she took her dramatic bow in the early 2000s (at age 16). Initially, Vandervoort landed bit parts in direct-to-video outings such as Alley Cats Strike! (2000), Mom's Got a Date With a Vampire (2000), and Troubled Waters (2006), but she quickly signed for a lead, as Kara (aka Supergirl) in the seventh season of the series Smallville. Vandervoort next landed a very small part in the 2007 theatrical release The Lookout, written and directed by Out of Sight scribe Scott Frank. In the years to come, Smith would remain active on screen, appearing in movies like Ted and on the SyFy werewolf series Bitten.
Biography by Nathan Southern
- Holds a second-degree black belt in karate.
- First TV appearances came with the kid-oriented horror series Goosebumps and Are You Afraid of the Dark?
- Played Sandy in a high school production of the musical Grease.
- Studied English and psychology at Toronto's York University.
- Joined the cast of the CW's long-running Smallville in 2007, playing Kara/Supergirl.
- Provided the voice of Mary Jane in the 2011 video game Spider-Man: Edge of Time.
- Supports PETA and appeared in an ad campaign for the animal-rights group.