- Spent part of her childhood in a hospital because she was diagnosed with renal cancer at age 2.
- Has suffered from chronic pain since her early teens due to the excessive radiation used in her cancer treatment.
- Recipient of the 2004 Philip Parsons Young Playwright's Award for her autobiographical play The Seed.
- Has an Honorary Doctor of Letters from Curtin University for her contribution to the arts.
- Ambassador for the landmine advocacy and support group MiVAC (Mines, Victims and Clearance).