Known for her waifish figure, Kate Moss ushered in what would come to be known as the era of "heroin chic" with her rise to popularity in the early '90s. Despite the controversy, Moss' stardom grew throughout the decade and into the next, making her one of the profession's highest-paid personalities. Over the years, Moss has also gained status as a tabloid celebrity, weathering controversy over her weight, bouts with drug abuse, and tumultuous relationships, most notably with actor Johnny Depp and rocker Pete Doherty. Moss had a daughter, Lila Grace Moss, on September 29, 2002, with movie editor Jefferson Hack and married musician Jamie Hince in 2011.
Biography by Matthew Tobey
- Was discovered in 1988 at JFK Airport by an employee of Storm modeling agency.
- Became a supermodel at age 19 after signing a contract with Calvin Klein.
- Is widely credited with pioneering the "waif" look of the early '90s.
- Posed nude and pregnant in a 2002 portrait by Lucian Freud that sold for £3.93 million.
- Designed a series of popular Topshop clothing collections. Moss' partnership with the U.K.-based retailer produced 14 collections from 2007 through 2010.