- Was a part of a theatre group called Chetana during his college days.
- Holds a doctor's degree, but chose to build a career in advertising. Shifted to filmmaking at a later stage in life.
- Made his debut as a director with the film Uro Chithi (2011).
- Won the Centenary Award at International Film Festival of India for Meghe Dhaka Tara (2013).
- Received the Silver Crow Pheasant Best Director Award at the International Film Festival of Kerala (IFFK) for Meghe Dhaka Tara (2013). The film also won the Network for the Promotion of Asian Cinema (NETPAC) Award in the Best Asian Film in the Competition category at the same festival.