- Mother was an Israeli actress who retired before Julia was born.
- As a teenager, took acting lessons in order to combat her shyness.
- Started acting at age 16; within three years, she had appeared in 10 movies, including major releases like The Perks of Being a Wallflower.
- Self-taped an audition for the lead in Electrick Children on a Monday; was hired two days later, and on-set filming the following week.
- Auditioned for a role in Not Fade Away that she did not get; however, the director liked her so much that he wrote a brand new part just to cast her.