Born August 19th, 1964, John Stamos started his career as Blackie Parrish on the soap opera General Hospital, but his most recognizable role remains Uncle Jesse on the family sitcom Full House. He made his film debut in the motorcycle movie Born to Ride, but he never fully made a transition to films. After a short time recording with the Beach Boys as a singer and drummer, he started dancing as well and joined the Broadway cast of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. In 1998, he married his model/actress Rebecca Romijn and hosted the VH1 celebrity talk show The List. He then turned to producing television with the ABC miniseries The Beach Boys: An American Family. In 2002, he began playing the Master of Ceremonies in the Broadway production of Cabaret, and in 2006 Stamos joined cast of the long-running medical drama ER in the role of paramedic-turned-intern Tony Gates. Stamos enjoyed a resurgence of popularity for his turn as the dentist boyfriend of a charmingly obsessive compulsive high school guidance counselor on the popular television show Glee.
Biography by Andrea LeVasseur
- Family name was shortened from Stamotopoulos.
- Nominated in 1983 for a Daytime Emmy (Outstanding Supporting Actor) for his role as Blackie Parrish on General Hospital.
- Plays guitar and drums. Occasionally tours with the Beach Boys and appeared in their video for "Kokomo" in 1988.
- Made Broadway debut in 1995 in How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.
- Purchased a Disneyland sign that stood at the park's entrance for $30,700 on eBay in 2000.
- Received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on November 16, 2009. His star is next to Dick Van Dyke's.