Australian actor John Noble may be best known for the role of Denethor, steward to the throne of Gondor from The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. A veteran of Australian television, Noble also established himself as a character actor on American television, playing Russian Consul Anatoly Markov on the series 24, and eccentric scientist Dr. Walter Bishop on the J.J. Abrams show Fringe. Additionally, Noble has directed over 80 stage plays both in the United States and in his home country of Australia. In 2010 he appeared in the fantasy adventure film The Last Airbender.
Biography by Cammila Collar
- Was chairman of the inaugural Australian Drama Festival in Adelaide in 1982.
- In 1984, was nominated as Young Australian of the Year.
- Served as artistic director for the Stage Company of South Australia from 1977 to 1987.
- Was head of drama at Brent Street School of Arts in Sydney from 1997 to 2000.
- Has been a voice and acting teacher.
- Served eight-year term as a Trustee of the Adelaide Festival Centre.