- Began studying acting at age 9 and by age 12 had acted professionally in two off-Broadway productions.
- Began his film training in the editing room, apprenticed with editors like Dede Allen and Thelma Schoonmaker.
- In 1987, along with Rob Epstein, founded the production company Telling Pictures.
- Has taught in the graduate program at California College of the Arts and at Stanford University.
- A member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and the Directors Guild of America.
- Co-author of the book The Art of Nonfiction Movie Making (2012).