An actress, supermodel, modeling agency head, and best-selling author -- to name only a few of her innumerable roles and accomplishments -- media darling Janice Dickinson first entered the international limelight as one of America's most sought-after cover girls; her prominence in the multiple venues of runway, catalogues, TV promotionals, editorial, and spokeswoman prompted her to tag herself as the very first "supermodel." Dickinson's popularity crescendoed even higher in the mid-2000s, when she concurrently authored a series of popular, gossip-laden memoirs and signed on to serve as one of the preeminent judges on the UPN reality series America's Next Top Model during its first four seasons. On that series, Dickinson's brassy, biting, and from-the-hip demeanor garnered her a whole new generation of fans. It also contributed to her involvement in two additional reality programs: season five of MTV's The Surreal Life (which found her thrown into a residence with such celebrities as Jose Canseco, Bronson Pinchot, and Carey Hart), and her own eponymous reality series, the 2006 Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency. As broadcast on the Oxygen women's network, this program observed Dickinson setting up shop with her new agency, scouring the streets of L.A. for interesting and unconventional new faces, and gradually whittling her pool of talent down to five newly established models with an unusual albeit commercially viable look. To the surprise of almost no one, the program clocked in as an instant hit. Dickinson joined the cast of I'm A Celebrity: Get Me Out of Here! in 2009 and continues to be active in television and the fashion industry.
Biography by Nathan Southern
- Graced the cover of many major fashion magazines during her career peak in the late 1970s and early 1980s.
- Called herself the first "supermodel," though this claim is disputed by many in the fashion industry.
- Author of three books, No Lifeguard on Duty: The Accidental Life of the World's First Supermodel, Everything About Me Is Fake...And I'm Perfect, and Check, Please!: Dating, Mating, and Extricating.
- Made a guest appearance on Season 5 of America's Next Top Model as the photographer for a plastic-surgery photo shoot.
- Appeared in both the U.S. and U.K. versions of I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!
- Launched a jewelry line in 2008.
- Recorded the song "Crazy" in 2009 with songwriter and producer Craig Taylor.
- Eats organic foods, meditates and practices daily yoga to help maintain her figure.
- Supports research for the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation.
- In 2010, VH1 announced she will be part of the fourth season of the series, Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew.