- Is the son of immigrants from Taiwan and Japan.
- Enlisted in the U.S. Army after high school, but was medically discharged soon after.
- Worked several odd jobs until his sister encouraged him to apply at the Juilliard School and was accepted after auditioning.
- Played Brutus in the stage production of Julius Caesar while studying at the Juilliard School.
- Is a graduate of the professional acting program at the Marjorie Ballentine Studio.
- Made his professional theater debut as Song Liling in M. Butterfly at Arena Stage in Washington, D.C. in 2004.