Born in Jaipur, India, actor Irfan Kahn earned his master's from the National School of Drama in 1984 before embarking on his career. Beginning with a number of serials for Indian TV, Kahn soon developed a following, eventually transitioning into film work, and becoming a mainstay of the Bollywood film industry. He developed a reputation as a villain and character actor, though in 2005 he would expand his horizons, taking on the leading role in the movie Rog. Also around this time, Kahn began testing the waters of American film, appearing in A Mighty Heart and The Darjeeling Limited. A few years later, in 2008, he appeared in another cross-continental hit, playing a police officer in the Academy Award-winning Slumdog Millionaire.
Biography by Cammila Collar
- Has made a name for himself in Bollywood as well as English language films in the UK and the USA.
- Awarded the Padma Shri, India's fourth highest award, in 2011.
- Winner of three Filmfare Award, including the Critics Award for Best Actor in 2012 for Paan Singh Tomar.
- Received the National Film Best Actor award for the same film.
- Changed his name from Irfan to Irrfan because he "likes the sound of the two Rs".