- Wrote plays as a child that he performed with friends.
- Archbishop Rowan Williams was one of his teachers when he attended the University of Cambridge.
- Worked with the National Theatre and Royal Shakespeare Company after college.
- First met his wife, Lulu, when they were in their teens. They drifted apart, but became reacquainted during their 30s.
- Made his professional acting debut in 1986 as an understudy to Ralph Fiennes in a production of A Midsummer Night's Dream.
- Supports the Merlin, a medical charity, and Scene & Heard, a mentoring program that pairs inner-city children from Somers Town, London, with theater professionals.