- As a child, she was convinced she would grow up to be a long jumper, and aspired to be the first female manager of Aston Villa Football Club.
- Worked as an assistant to a florist for her first job.
- Won the Ian Fleming Award to study musical theatre at the Royal Academy of Music in London.
- Worked as a backing singer for Elton John, performing at Wembley Arena and the Royal Albert Hall.
- Part of the cast of the original 2004 West End production of Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Woman in White.
- Met her husband, Oliver Boot, on the set of the BBC drama series Hotel Babylon. However, they didn't begin a relationship for several years.