- Was born the sixth child of four brothers and three sisters.
- Began singing in 1980-81 as an amateur, and performed for the local South Asian community in Canada while still in school.
- Was inspired to take up professional singing by his first guru Sharomani Kavishar Karnail Singh Paras Ramoowalia.
- Married Harmandeep Kaur, his first guru's daughter, in 1990.
- Made his professional singing debut in Canada during 1992 for the album Chithiye Nee Chithiye.
- Became the first ever artist to move back from Canada to India to further his singing career.
- Was invited by the Canadian Government to perform at the Winter Olympiad held in 2010.
- Auctioned costumes worn by him in the Punjabi film Heer Ranjha (2009) for charity to an orphanage.
- Inaugrated a cancer detection and awareness camp in Panchkula, Haryana, India.