Active - 2014 - 2020 |
Born - Jan 22, 1968 in Columbus, Ohio, United States |
- Though he considers himself a "California kid," was actually born in Ohio, moving with his family to Whittier, Cal. at six months of age.
- First "taste" of the food business was as a 10-year-old, when he began selling pretzels from a three-wheeled bicycle cart called "The Awesome Pretzel," which he built with his father.
- Known for his vibrant and spicy dishes. Surprisingly, his parents raised him on a relatively bland macrobiotic diet, frequently featuring bulgur and steamed fish.
- Opened his first restaurant, Johnny Garlic's, in 1996 with his partner, Steve Gruber.
- Won Food Network's second season of Next Food Network Star in 2006.
- Traveled to the Persian Gulf in 2007 as a guest of the U.S. Navy to entertain and cook for the troops.