- Was introduced to the film industry in 1944, when his uncle found him a job at the Prabhat Film Company in Pune.
- India Post released a stamp bearing his face in 2004.
- Developed a life-long friendship with Dev Anand. Their collaboration produced hits such as Baazi (1951) and Jaal (1952)
- Pyassa (1957), which he directed, produced, and starred in, was names in Time Magazine's All-Time top 100 movies.
- It has never been cleared if his death was suicide or an accidental overdose on sleeping tablets and alcohol.