Pennsylvania native Gillian Jacobs learned her trade at the Pittsburgh Public Theater, where she competed in the Public's Shakespeare Monologue Contest. She subsequently studied at Juilliard, and began her professional career a few years later, with a role on the series The Book of Daniel. Though the show didn't last, Jacobs was soon busy with new projects, like 2007's Blackbird and 2008's Choke. Then, following an appearance on the series Royal Pains in 2009, Jacobs joined the cast of the comedy series Community, and signed on to appear in a number of films including Watching TV with the Red Chinese and The Box. In 2012 she had a small part in Seeking a Friend for the End of the World.
Biography by Cammila Collar
- Her first love is theater: She started acting at the Pittsburgh Public Theater and frequently competed in an annual Shakespeare Monologue Contest.
- Started her TV career on the 2006 NBC series Book of Daniel.
- Made her New York stage debut in 2006 in Cagelove.
- Researched roles playing drug addicts and strippers by learning to snort fake drugs and preparing pole-dancing routines.
- Starred in such off-Broadway productions as Little Flower of East Orange, which was directed by Philip Seymour Hoffman, as well as A Feminine Ending, directed by Blair Brown.