French Stewart, a native of New Mexico, received his professional training from the American Academy of Dramatic Arts, from which he earned a B.F.A. Stewart has numerous stage credits on his resumé, ranging from contemporary theater to the classics and has earned many awards for his work on stage. He is said to have earned his S.A.G. card by portraying Yogi Bear with a traveling children's show, from which he was eventually fired for removing the head of his costume in front of children. Stewart is primarily known for his portrayal of the goofy alien Harry on the NBC sitcom, 3rd Rock From the Sun, which is, by his own account, a character study of silent film comedians. Stewart reportedly owns a substantial collection of silent films. He is married to actor Katherine LaNasa. In the years to come, Stewart would remain active on screen, appearing in films like Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2.
Biography by Rovi
- Appeared on TV for the first time at the age of 5, on a local kids' show in Albuquerque called Captain Billy's Clubhouse.
- Worked for Hanna-Barbera for a time, wearing a Yogi Bear costume at conventions and fund-raisers.
- Got his break playing DJ Razor Dee in the early-'90s sitcom The New WKRP in Cincinnati.
- Rose to fame as squinting alien Harry Solomon in the 1990s sitcom 3rd Rock From the Sun.
- Made his film debut in Stargate (1994).
- Was the voice of Bob in the 2000 animated television series God, the Devil and Bob.
- Has a large collection of silent films.