Director Francis Lawrence has made a legendary name for himself as a music-video director, directing almost a hundred videos over the course of his career for artists like Alanis Morissette, Nine Inch Nails, the Black Eyed Peas, Britney Spears, Jennifer Lopez, and Destiny's Child. In 2005, he branched into feature film, directing the adaptation of the Hellblazer comic, Constantine. In 2007, he helmed another adaptation with I Am Legend, based on the Richard Matheson novel of the same name. The big-budget action-horror film starred Will Smith and was estimated to be among the most expensive movies ever made.
Biography by Cammila Collar
- Moved to Los Angeles when he was three.
- His father was a Theoretical Physicist and his mother a V.P. Technology at a PR agency.
- Worked in sales at a clothing store.
- Was an intern at New Line Cinema.
- Was a successful music video director, having worked with artists like Britney Spears, Jennifer Lopez, Aerosmith, Rihanna and Black Eyed Peas, before transitioning to film.