Ireland native Evanna Lynch was picked out of over 15,000 hopefuls in her audition for the role of Luna Lovegood, Harry's eccentric yet insightful new friend in the fifth installment to the Potter series, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Not only did Lynch stand out at the audition, but many critics and fans declared her a perfect fit for the role. Lynch is known for being an active participant in the Potter "fandom," and has contributed to various fan sites and podcasts.
Biography by Tracie Cooper
- Suffered from anorexia nervosa as she grew up, forcing her to move in and out of rehabilitation clinics. Years later, she wrote an essay on the subject entitled, Why the Body Bind is My Nightmare.
- Was so determined to get a copy of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix upon it's release, she persuaded doctors to let her out of hospital early so she could get it.
- Wrote letters to author J.K. Rowling as a child while she was suffering with anorexia. Rowling supported her, and when Lynch stated she dreamed of being in the film adaptations, Rowling encouraged her to pursue this dream.
- Studied at the Centre for Talented Youth in Dublin, Ireland.
- Designed the elements of her own costume for the role of Luna Lovegood, including radish shaped earrings and a lion-head hat.
- As a UNICEF supporter, traveled to the Philippines in the aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan.