- Credited for reviving the Singapore film industry and for putting the nation onto the International film map in 1995.
- First recipient of the National Arts Councils Young Artist Award for Film in 1997.
- His feature, My Magic was nominated for the Cannes Palme d'Or in 2008.
- Was ranked as one of the 25 exceptional trend makers of Asia by Asiaweek magazine in 1998.
- Appointed as a board member of NYU Tisch School of the Arts, Asia in 2007.
- Has served as the jury president or head at several film festivals and awards including the Asian Film Awards and Rotterdam International Film Festival in 2012.
- 2008 recipient of the Chevalier de l'Ordre des Arts et des Letters, from the French Cultural Minister.