Missouri native Ellie Kemper may have studied English at Princeton University, but her real passion was theater. After learning all she could with an improvisational comedy troupe, she would go on to write for the satirical newspaper The Onion and literary journal McSweeney's, participate in troupes like Upright Citizen's Brigade and People's Improv Theatre, and appear in comedy videos at CollegeHumor.com. Kemper's big break came in 2009, when she was cast as Erin the receptionist on the popular sitcom The Office. She would go on to appear in several movies over the coming year, including Get Him to the Greek, Bridesmaids, and 21 Jump Street.
Biography by Cammila Collar
- One of her high-school drama teachers was Mad Men star Jon Hamm, an alumnus of her school.
- Was a débutante in her native Missouri, holding the Veiled Prophet title of Queen of Love and Beauty in 1999.
- Played field hockey in her freshman year at Princeton before giving up the sport to concentrate on performing.
- Participated in the comedy troupes Quipfire! and the Princeton Triangle Club while in college.
- Is a member of the Upright Citzens Brigade, where she starred in a one-woman show, Feeling Sad/Mad.
- Has written for such publications as McSweeney, the Onion and the Huffington Post.