- Took a leave of absence from Penn in the spring of 1992 to play baseball, but returned in the fall to finish his course work and graduate.
- His senior engineering project was a transportation-feasibility study for a proposed baseball stadium on the site of the Philadelphia post office at 30th Street.
- Was drafted in the first round by the Chicago Cubs in 1991 and made his MLB debut with the club in June 1996.
- Led the league in stolen bases in 1999.
- One of his post-baseball jobs was working as a designer for a company in Chicago that built single-family homes.
- Authored the 2010 book The Game From Where I Stand.