- Best known for creating the Law & Order franchise.
- At age 12, wrote a detective serial that ran for two years in his school paper.
- Attended Phillips Andover Academy in Massachusetts with future president George W. Bush.
- A former ad copywriter, helped create the "I'm Cheryl, fly me" campaign for National Airlines, as well as the toothpaste slogan "You can't beat Crest for fighting cavities."
- Serves as Monaco's honorary consul for Los Angeles, and is involved in the country's annual Monte-Carlo Television Festival.
- Received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in March 2007.
- Signed a deal to write two novels for HarperCollins in July 2010.