- Adopted at birth by middle-class teachers.
- Knew he wanted to become an actor while in primary school.
- Honed his acting chops with Britain's National Youth Theatre.
- Pursued stand-up comedy for a time during his college years.
- Joined the amateur theatrical Footlights Dramatic Club while at Cambridge.
- Discovered by British theatrical-film director Peter Hall, who spotted him in a Footlights production of Macbeth opposite Hall's daughter Rebecca.
- Editor-at-large for the Junket, an online quarterly magazine.
- Writes a column for the Sunday Telegraph (a British newspaper).