American leading man Craig Sheffer was first seen on a nationwide basis on the TV-serial circuit. He played Ian Hayden on the ABC daytime drama One Life to Live, and was cast as the teenaged son of Michael Goodwin and Leigh-Taylor Young on the 1983 prime time serial The Hamptons. Sheffer's earliest starring assignment in films was as the best friend of troubled teenager Emilio Estevez in That Was Then...This Is Now (1985). Among Craig Sheffer's more recent films are A River Runs Through It (1992) (in which he played the older brother of Brad Pitt), Fire in the Sky (1993), and Sleep With Me (1994) (top-billed, as the apex of a romantic triangle which included Eric Stoltz and Meg Tilly). He remained a steadily-working actor, often in indie films. His credits include A Season in Purgatory, Flypaper, and Miss Evers' Boys. In the 21st century he could be seen in Maze, Deep Core, and Killer Buzz before landing the role of Keith Scott on the television series One Tree Hill. In 2007 Sheffer wrote and directed the ensemble comedy American Crude. He starred in the 2008 thriller While She Was Out, and in 2012 he was the lead in Clive Barker's Nightbreed: The Cabal Cut.
Biography by Hal Erickson
- Along with brother Hogan (a screenwriter for the daytime sudser As the World Turns), performed impromptu sketches for his family at a young age.
- Worked as a waiter, busboy, garbage man and valet before making acting his full-time career.
- Played college football until his athletic aspirations were curtailed by a knee injury.
- Relocated to New York City in 1980, where he was homeless for several weeks before signing with an agent and landing jobs in TV commercials.
- Landed first significant acting role of Ian Hayden on the daytime soap opera One Life to Live during the early 1980s.
- In 1983, made his Broadway debut as Harvey Fierstein's character's lover Alan in Torch Song Trilogy.
- Breakout film role was opposite Emilio Estevez in the 1985 drama That Was Then...This Is Now.
- Along with partner Stephen J. Bratter, formed a production company called Desert Winds Films.