- Mother was a psychoanalyst and father a graphic designer.
- Grew up in Boyle, Ireland, the hometown of Maureen O'Sullivan, the actress who played Jane in the first Tarzan film.
- Studied politics and sociology in college; and wrote for the college newspaper, the University Observer.
- Worked construction, in bars and at call centers while pursuing an acting career in London.
- Won a 2005 BAFTA Scottish Award for his leading role in Festival.
- Wrote the 2012 British series Moone Boy, which is partly based on his childhood in Ireland during the late 1980s.