Active - 1954 - 2011 |
Born - Mar 24, 1940 in Monterey Park, California, United States |
- While working at Paramount Studio in 1961, he was discovered by legendary costume designer Edith Head.
- In 1967, he and longtime companion Ray Aghayan shared the first Emmy awarded for costume design, for the TV-movie Alice Through the Looking Glass.
- Was costume designer for the entire 11-year run of The Carol Burnett Show.
- Designed the curtain dress ("I saw it in the window and couldn't resist") worn by Carol Burnett on her variety series' memorable Gone With the Wind spoof, "Went With the Wind."
- Inducted into the Television Academy Hall of Fame in 2002.
- Has designed dresses for collector edition Barbie dolls, and in 2009 did the 50th Anniversary Legacy Barbie.
- Designed costumes for singer Pink's 2009 "Funhouse" tour.
- Is the subject of Frank DeCaro's 2001 book Unmistakably Mackie.
- His design drawings for a number of Las Vegas productions are viewable at the UNLV Libraries Digital Collections.