- Attended college part-time while working as a bartender, as a waiter and at a plastic film company.
- Appeared as Lennie in Of Mice and Men during his junior year of college at the urging of a friend.
- Taught acting at the University of Massachusetts.
- Got his big break in 1980 as an understudy in Arthur Miller's American Clock at the Spoleto Festival in Charleston, S.C. After the lead became ill on opening night, he stepped into the role and so impressed Miller that he was cast as the lead for the play's Broadway run.
- Hosted the Life Goes On Celebrity Golf Classic during the run of Life Goes On.
- Received the Michael Landon Humanitarian Award in 1993 for his work with the Down Syndrome Congress.