Though actress Annabeth Gish is not, as has frequently been reported, related to silent-film legend Lillian Gish (she is decidedly not the never-married Lillian's granddaughter!), Annabeth does have one thing in common with her famous namesake: she began acting at a very early age, and achieved film stardom before she was 20. Born in Albuquerque, Annabeth moved to Cedar Falls, Iowa, when her college-professor dad accepted a position there. From age eight onward, Gish was active in local community and children's theatre; by the time she was 11, she was a professional model. Her first film appearance was in 1986's Desert Bloom, in which, as a troubled preteen plagued by family squabbles and nuclear testing, she all but stole the show. Gish's career went into Drive when she starred in the cult favorite Mystic Pizza, though when the film is now shown on television, the supporting appearance of Julia Roberts is the focus of ad-campaign attention. A most attractive young lady, Gish scored as one of four beautiful vacationing teens in 1988's Shag (her screen chums were Phoebe Cates, Bridget Fonda and Paige Hannah). In 1993, Annabeth Gish briefly interrupted her film career to earn a BA in English; within a year, she was back at work in the theatrical film Wyatt Earp and the made-for-TV Scarlet. In 1997, Gish appeared alongside Angelina Jolie and Dana Delaney for a starring role in the TV movie True Women; however, she would find more significant success on the small screen in 2001, when she joined the cast of The X-Files to play feisty FBI Agent Monica Reyes. Gish and Robert Patrick effectively became the lead characters during the show's 8th and 9th seasons, though ratings indicated that their onscreen chemistry couldn't compete with that of Duchnovy and Anderson, who had become beloved as the characters of Mulder and Scully. In 2006, Gish took on the starring role of Eileen Caffee in Brotherhood, a drama from Showtime, and joined the cast of A&E's TV miniseries Stephen King's Bag of Bones in 2011, and played a therapist with demons of her own in ABC's Pretty Little Liars the same year.
Biography by Hal Erickson
- Began acting in community theater as a child and continued throughout adolescence.
- Made her movie debut in 1986's Desert Bloom, a coming-of-age tale set in 1950s Nevada.
- Following work in the films Mystic Pizza (1988) and Shag (1989) interrupted her career for four years to attend Duke University.
- Met her husband on the set of The X-Files when he was choreographing fight scenes.
- Her pregnancy was woven into her character’s storyline in the third season of Brotherhood.
- Though regularly asked, she is not related to silent film star Lillian Gish.