- Met his wife Cate Blanchett while working on Thank God He Met Lizzie in 1996.
- Released short film Bangers (1999) and feature film Little Fish (2005) under Dirty Films, the film production company he runs with Blanchett.
- London production of his play Riflemind, about an ageing rock star, was directed by Philip Seymour Hoffman in 2008.
- In 2008, was appointed joint Artistic Director and CEO of the Sydney Theatre Company with Blanchett; became sole Artistic Director in 2013.
- Has jokingly referred to himself as "the hand", because of photographers cropping him out of red-carpet photos with Blanchett.