- Spent his childhood in Chitrapura's Ananda Ashram, learning a lot about Amarakosha, Bhagwad Gita, Ashthavadhana, Rudra, Shlokas and more.
- Was sent away to Mumbai for further studies from 9th Grade onwards.
- Theatre interested him since childhood; thus, welcomed an opportunity to work in Shyam Benegal's Ankur (1974) with open arms.
- After studying commerce in college, started working in the Union Bank; managed to get the job under the theatre quota.
- Returned to Bangalore in 1976, quitting his bank job in Mumbai to become a full-time actor.