The niece of famed actress Sonia Braga, Brazilian actress Alice Braga rode to fame on the back of key performances in works produced in her native country, such as City of God (2002) and Sólo Dios Sabe (2005). She then branched out into international crossover hits as the female lead in such pictures as the Hollywood sci-fi/action opus I Am Legend (2007, starring Will Smith), the David Mamet-helmed sports drama Redbelt (2008), and the illegal immigrant-themed muckraker Crossing Over (2008). That same year, she re-teamed with City of God director Fernando Meirelles for the haunting film Blindness, playing the only woman left in her village with the ability to see, after a mysterious condition renders everyone else blind. She also joined the cast of the sci-fi thriller Repossession Mambo (2009), opposite Jude Law and Forest Whitaker.
Biography by Nathan Southern
- At the age of 8, got her start in acting with a yogurt commercial.
- In 2002 she received a Best Supporting Actress nomination from Cinema Brazil Grand Prize (Brazil's Academy Awards) for her role as Angelica in City of God.
- Made her English-language debut in 2006 in the film Journey to the End of the Night.
- Starred in two films about the end of the world: 2007's I Am Legend and 2008's Blindness.
- Is fluent in English, Spanish and Portuguese.