- Actively participated in Gujarati drama competitions while in school; won many awards.
- Started out as a professor at C.U. Shah Arts College in Ahmedabad before joining University of Texas at Austin as a student.
- Authored "A Shaft of Sunlight" during the 1992 Gujarat riots, a theatre production commissioned for radio by the BBC World Service; the UK-based Tamasha Theatre Company asked him to adapt it for the stage. This play paved his way to becoming a Bollywood screenwriter.
- Got "A Shaft of Sunlight" published with Nick Hern Books in 2000; the Hindi, Gujarati and Marathi apadtations of the book have been published under the title "Marmbhed."
- Teaches screenwriting, playwriting and film studies at Otterbein College in Westerville, Ohio, where he lives with his wife and daughter.