- Was the youngest son of a fisherman who had a knack for composing songs since his elementary school days.
- Left high school in his second year and enlisted in the Philippine Army as a soldier-trainee.
- Worked as a jeep driver for 10 years and later returned to Bohol in 1965 to become a bus driver.
- Formed a rondalla group with his bus driver mates which caught the eye of the bus company owner who set up the Kinamay Records music studio just for Yoyoy.
- Composed the anthem Mag-exercise Tayo in 1977 which established him as a national figure after government agencies and public schools adopted it as the official music for their Monday morning exercise.
- Made his debut in the film Isla Limasawa (1972). But his most notable role came in the 1974 suspense thriller Biktima.
- Won the Best Novelty Award for Piyesta ng mga Isda at the 1993 Awit Awards.
- Became the city councilor of Las Pinas City for a period of ten years.