- His first acting job: commercials and print ads for Tide when he was 5.
- Attended an alternative high school after he was kicked out of his first high school.
- Had his passion for the arts ignited at that alternative high school when a professional theater company mentored students.
- Enlisted in the Navy after high school; and worked as an aviation firefighter on an aircraft carrier.
- His big break came with three months left in his tour: Denzel Washington decided to shoot Antwone Fisher on his ship, the USS Essex. The casting director sought crew members to use as extras, which led to him being discovered.
- The same casting director convinced him to relocate to L.A. following his deployment; and then cast him in Barbershop, the Showtime series.
- Proposed to his wife, sportscaster Jenn Brown, in memorable fashion: He took her to see her favorite band, Journey, in concert; and, during her favorite song, "Faithfully," got down on one knee and asked for her hand in marriage.