- Before studying at Parsons The New School for Design he spent a year in Paris where his interest in fashion was piqued.
- Set up production company Fade to Black Productions produced A Single Man in 2009, also his directorial debut.
- Launched his Tom Ford label in 2006.
- Is known for his controversial advertising campaigns, including one that portrayed a woman with perfume between her legs, which was banned in 2007.
- Received the Geoffery Beene Lifetime Achievement Award by the CFDA in 2014.
- Featured at no.19 in the British GQ's "50 Best Dressed Men in Britain" list in 2015.
- Won the Satellite Auteur Award in 2016.