- Father is the founder of the William Esper Studio, a well-respected acting studio dedicated to Meisner-based actor training.
- Used to fence while in high school, but claims he was really bad at it.
- Played guitar in the band The Red + The Black.
- Studied writing and philosophy at Oberlin College for a year, but struggled so much that they suggested he take a year off.
- Received his Equity card when he did a play at Trinity Repertory Company called Henry Flamethrowa.
- Made his Broadway debut in the 2008 revival of A Man for All Seasons.
- Won the Clarence Derwent Award, which honors promising performers on the New York theater scene, in 2008 for his role in A.R. Gurney's Crazy Mary.
- Sang the song "Boxcar" by the band Jawbreaker for his American Idiot audition.