- Wanted to be a professional soccer player, but decided to pursue acting after suffering a back injury.
- Got his start with the National Youth Theatre of Great Britain.
- Won critical acclaim for his performance in the stage production of Polly Stenham's That Face.
- Appeared alongside Doctor Who alumnus Billie Piper in the made-for-TV adaptations of Philip Pullman's novels The Ruby in the Smoke and The Shadow in the North. He also made a guest appearance in an episode of Piper's Secret Diary of a Call Girl.
- In 2009, he was cast as the 11th incarnation of the title character in the BBC series Doctor Who.